Skip to main content

environment art

• Seems to have been a while since I did a character design, and the first i have completed in a pen and marker technique!

Brief was fairly open: Barbarian Warrior, something along the lines of Conan.

• More additions in my folio redesign. I'm done with creatures (for now) and on to environments.

will post in exhibition section for crits etc.

• currently re(x3)doing my illustration folio. Aiming to get it looking more 'professional concept artist' and less... stinky! ... no I mean less aimless illustrator ...less whatever it was!

So fingers crossed this is latest work is on the…

• 3rd in my series of roadster concepts- Overall theme of this personal project was to explore design variations within a roadster format.

This addition to the series was created entirely in Photoshop (except the mags, I admit I appropriated…

• The latest sketches from my sketch book, With a bit of colour added. Will post them to the exhibition section too for comments :)

• Yet another painting in my Architecture series, possibly the last one for this batch. Definitely the most finished one so far, although technically still a WIP (I've glossed over the ocean for starters)

It will be added to my thread in the…

• This time some architecture/city-scape concept sketches. I have done very little of this type of subject matter in the past (virtually none!) so I thought it would be a good subject to have a practice at.

As with my previous postings, I…

• Sketches examining a roman/greek style guard. This work in progress has been posted in the Exhibition section for comments/crits.

...I will get onto an avitar soon!

• sketches in progress. Still needs some technical design aspects addressed (thanks for the feed back folks)

• I have been sketching some quadruped vehicles recentily (a topic that I have not had a lot of practice with.) I am also experimenting with colouring techniques > Aiming for a fast technique that helps to describe the forms/volumes, and matches…

Submitted by Johnn on
Forum

hope someone can shed some light or point me in the right direction for resources:

I am looking for information regarding the level of detail in environments that the new consoles/current technology can support. The topic came up whilst during a discussion on appropriate levels of detail required in environment concept art.

Submitted by Killa Dee on Fri, 08/12/06 - 12:09 PM Permalink

Hey there is some basic info on this regarding UE3 @ Unreal Technology.

Over 100 million triangles of source content contribute to the normal maps

Wireframe reveals memory-efficient content comprising under 500,000 triangles.

Normal Maps & Texture maps
We are authoring most character and world normal maps and texture maps at 2048x2048 resolution. We feel this is a good target for games running on mid-range PC's in the 2006 timeframe. Next-generation consoles may require reducing texture resolution by 2X, and low-end PC's up to 4X, depending on texture count and scene complexity.

Environments
Typical environments contain 1000-5000 total renderable objects, including static meshes and skeletal meshes. For reasonable performance on current 3D cards, we aim to keep the number of visible objects in any given scene to 300-1000 visible objects. Our larger scenes typically peak at 500,000 to 1,500,000 rendered triangles.

Lights
There are no hardcoded limits on light counts, but for performance we try to limit the number of large-radius lights affecting large scenes to 2-5, as each light/object interaction pair is costly due to the engine's high-precision per-pixel lighting and shadowing pipeline. Low-radius lights used for highlights and detail lighting on specific objects are significantly less costly than lights affecting the full scene.KILLA DEE2006-12-08 01:11:47

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 08/12/06 - 12:54 PM Permalink

Thanks killa dee, the link is looking like it will give me a good idea of tech standards for enviros, including stuff I hadn't really given much thought to. I browsed some other forums and realised it was a kind of 'how long is a piece of string' question too.

Submitted by Neffy on Fri, 22/12/06 - 6:14 PM Permalink

i checked that guy out and his work is so stunning, i thought it was all 3D at first then was like hang on this is a painting *jaw drop* *desktop*

Posted by Johnn on
Forum

hope someone can shed some light or point me in the right direction for resources:

I am looking for information regarding the level of detail in environments that the new consoles/current technology can support. The topic came up whilst during a discussion on appropriate levels of detail required in environment concept art.

Submitted by Killa Dee on Fri, 08/12/06 - 12:09 PM Permalink

Hey there is some basic info on this regarding UE3 @ Unreal Technology.

Over 100 million triangles of source content contribute to the normal maps

Wireframe reveals memory-efficient content comprising under 500,000 triangles.

Normal Maps & Texture maps
We are authoring most character and world normal maps and texture maps at 2048x2048 resolution. We feel this is a good target for games running on mid-range PC's in the 2006 timeframe. Next-generation consoles may require reducing texture resolution by 2X, and low-end PC's up to 4X, depending on texture count and scene complexity.

Environments
Typical environments contain 1000-5000 total renderable objects, including static meshes and skeletal meshes. For reasonable performance on current 3D cards, we aim to keep the number of visible objects in any given scene to 300-1000 visible objects. Our larger scenes typically peak at 500,000 to 1,500,000 rendered triangles.

Lights
There are no hardcoded limits on light counts, but for performance we try to limit the number of large-radius lights affecting large scenes to 2-5, as each light/object interaction pair is costly due to the engine's high-precision per-pixel lighting and shadowing pipeline. Low-radius lights used for highlights and detail lighting on specific objects are significantly less costly than lights affecting the full scene.KILLA DEE2006-12-08 01:11:47

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 08/12/06 - 12:54 PM Permalink

Thanks killa dee, the link is looking like it will give me a good idea of tech standards for enviros, including stuff I hadn't really given much thought to. I browsed some other forums and realised it was a kind of 'how long is a piece of string' question too.

Submitted by Neffy on Fri, 22/12/06 - 6:14 PM Permalink

i checked that guy out and his work is so stunning, i thought it was all 3D at first then was like hang on this is a painting *jaw drop* *desktop*