Skip to main content

Changing the approach with member accounts

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

(Disregard this if you have a programmer profile.)

In case you haven't noticed, the memberlists in the section pages (well, the modeller page in particular) on the site is getting extremely long. We're getting a lot of members (over 150 now), I think that a lot of people are kind of missing the point of having a profile/journal. A lot of people register, log in once or twice, and probably never come back. Usually with no work linked, and no work shown whatsoever. While I don't mind people just linking to their homepages - that's perfectly fine, I just think that profiles that don't lead to showing what you can do is pretty pointless.

I'm thinking of splitting the memberships into two categories. The first category will be for people who have uploaded pictures on Sumea. These people will be listed on the section pages as they are now. Under that list will be a link to another page listing the rest of the members.

This way will provide a better memberlist if you want to see the work of local talent, reduce the number of members shown on section pages, and encourage people to upload art.

So... if you don't see your name in the memberlist in the section pages one day, you'll know why!

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 10/06/03 - 9:31 AM Permalink

_joke_ nahhh, make the programmers upload images as well.

programmer art = t3h evil

Submitted by sho nuff on Wed, 11/06/03 - 4:31 AM Permalink

sounds like a good idea. I would upload my stuff but my forum profile doesn't work in the 2d artist section, even though when i registered, it was originally for that purpose.

Is this a common thing?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 11/06/03 - 7:11 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by sho-nuff

sounds like a good idea. I would upload my stuff but my forum profile doesn't work in the 2d artist section, even though when i registered, it was originally for that purpose.

Is this a common thing?

I might have messed up somewhere when I registered you. I'm not sure what your membername is - let me know and I will fix it.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 14/06/03 - 10:12 PM Permalink

Ok, I've implemented this - so if you now go to the section pages (modeller, mapper, 2d artist, coder) and you don't see your name there, then click on the "view entire memberlist" page and it should be there.. why does your profile appear on that page, and not on the main section pages? Because you haven't added a journal entry or uploaded pictures.. Upload a picture and write a journal entry, and you will get listed on the main section pages.
The exception is with the programmers - those who I thought contributed to the site in some way should appear on the main programmer section page. The rest will have to write some sort of journal entry to appear there.
Sumea membership is to show or write about your stuff, and with this way, those that do show their stuff get more exposure..

Posted by souri on
Forum

(Disregard this if you have a programmer profile.)

In case you haven't noticed, the memberlists in the section pages (well, the modeller page in particular) on the site is getting extremely long. We're getting a lot of members (over 150 now), I think that a lot of people are kind of missing the point of having a profile/journal. A lot of people register, log in once or twice, and probably never come back. Usually with no work linked, and no work shown whatsoever. While I don't mind people just linking to their homepages - that's perfectly fine, I just think that profiles that don't lead to showing what you can do is pretty pointless.

I'm thinking of splitting the memberships into two categories. The first category will be for people who have uploaded pictures on Sumea. These people will be listed on the section pages as they are now. Under that list will be a link to another page listing the rest of the members.

This way will provide a better memberlist if you want to see the work of local talent, reduce the number of members shown on section pages, and encourage people to upload art.

So... if you don't see your name in the memberlist in the section pages one day, you'll know why!

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 10/06/03 - 9:31 AM Permalink

_joke_ nahhh, make the programmers upload images as well.

programmer art = t3h evil

Submitted by sho nuff on Wed, 11/06/03 - 4:31 AM Permalink

Is this a common thing?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 11/06/03 - 7:11 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by sho-nuff

Is this a common thing?

I might have messed up somewhere when I registered you. I'm not sure what your membername is - let me know and I will fix it.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 14/06/03 - 10:12 PM Permalink

Ok, I've implemented this - so if you now go to the section pages (modeller, mapper, 2d artist, coder) and you don't see your name there, then click on the "view entire memberlist" page and it should be there.. why does your profile appear on that page, and not on the main section pages? Because you haven't added a journal entry or uploaded pictures.. Upload a picture and write a journal entry, and you will get listed on the main section pages.
The exception is with the programmers - those who I thought contributed to the site in some way should appear on the main programmer section page. The rest will have to write some sort of journal entry to appear there.
Sumea membership is to show or write about your stuff, and with this way, those that do show their stuff get more exposure..