Skip to main content

Ballistic Publishing - Expose II

Forum

My art isn't up to the standard of art in the book but I still find this interesting:
"We are now calling for artists to submit digital images for consideration to be included in EXPOS? 2. Images can be created in any 3D or digital illustration application. Photoshop and digitally manipulated photography is also welcome. We are interested in digitally created fine art, whether it be 3D or 2D, for commercial use, or personal satisfaction."

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/call_for_entries/invitation.php

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 14/11/03 - 11:46 AM Permalink

I bought Expose 1, and hoped that one day I will be good enough to have my work published in there. Unfortunately, I do not think that my work is quite that good yet.

If you have never seen this book, then I really suggest that you buy it. It is easily the best art book that I own.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 14/11/03 - 12:03 PM Permalink

i know of the book. but i have not looked through one.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 15/11/03 - 1:59 AM Permalink

Same, cant find any decent art books here in Ballarat!! :( Have to order the over the net instead

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 15/11/03 - 8:36 AM Permalink

It is really worth it :D I ordered my Limited Edition one before it came out, and I am really glad that I did so. They sold out of those ones about a week after they announced that you could buy them (about 4 months before they were even released :) ). It basically has all of the best works from of www.cgtalk.com

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 15/11/03 - 9:06 AM Permalink

I just found this thread on the CG Channel Forum.

http://www.cgchannel.com/forum/viewthread?thread=4291

Honestly I do think that quite a few people are being a bit too harsh on CG Talk for their book. I think it is a fantastic book, and hope to get my work published in there one day. I would not give a shit about being paid, as just the ability to have my work published along side some of the amasing artists in there would be reward enough.

I don't really agree with CG Talk's censoring of posts that spoke against them (even after the apology), but censorship can be useful from stopping people from blantly flaming others.

Well I just thought that I would let people here know. There is one bad thing that I did not particulary like about Expose 1 though, I would have loved to have seen a small part that had small bios for all the artists. Maybe in Expose 2 though.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Sat, 15/11/03 - 10:29 PM Permalink

There was a little Controversy over the first book:

quote:The painting titled "Angel" by Pierre St-Hilaire has raised some serious questions about whether the image was worthy of making it in to the book , based on the fact that the painting is obviously a direct copy (possibly a trace) of a photograph of Angelina Jolie, with elements taken straight from a Luis Royo painting.

I guess stuff like that happens when you have so many entries.

Edit: Link to full story: http://www.gfxartist.com/general/general_news/28994

Forum

My art isn't up to the standard of art in the book but I still find this interesting:
"We are now calling for artists to submit digital images for consideration to be included in EXPOS? 2. Images can be created in any 3D or digital illustration application. Photoshop and digitally manipulated photography is also welcome. We are interested in digitally created fine art, whether it be 3D or 2D, for commercial use, or personal satisfaction."

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/call_for_entries/invitation.php

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 14/11/03 - 11:46 AM Permalink

I bought Expose 1, and hoped that one day I will be good enough to have my work published in there. Unfortunately, I do not think that my work is quite that good yet.

If you have never seen this book, then I really suggest that you buy it. It is easily the best art book that I own.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 14/11/03 - 12:03 PM Permalink

i know of the book. but i have not looked through one.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 15/11/03 - 1:59 AM Permalink

Same, cant find any decent art books here in Ballarat!! :( Have to order the over the net instead

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 15/11/03 - 8:36 AM Permalink

It is really worth it :D I ordered my Limited Edition one before it came out, and I am really glad that I did so. They sold out of those ones about a week after they announced that you could buy them (about 4 months before they were even released :) ). It basically has all of the best works from of www.cgtalk.com

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 15/11/03 - 9:06 AM Permalink

I just found this thread on the CG Channel Forum.

http://www.cgchannel.com/forum/viewthread?thread=4291

Honestly I do think that quite a few people are being a bit too harsh on CG Talk for their book. I think it is a fantastic book, and hope to get my work published in there one day. I would not give a shit about being paid, as just the ability to have my work published along side some of the amasing artists in there would be reward enough.

I don't really agree with CG Talk's censoring of posts that spoke against them (even after the apology), but censorship can be useful from stopping people from blantly flaming others.

Well I just thought that I would let people here know. There is one bad thing that I did not particulary like about Expose 1 though, I would have loved to have seen a small part that had small bios for all the artists. Maybe in Expose 2 though.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Sat, 15/11/03 - 10:29 PM Permalink

There was a little Controversy over the first book:

quote:The painting titled "Angel" by Pierre St-Hilaire has raised some serious questions about whether the image was worthy of making it in to the book , based on the fact that the painting is obviously a direct copy (possibly a trace) of a photograph of Angelina Jolie, with elements taken straight from a Luis Royo painting.

I guess stuff like that happens when you have so many entries.

Edit: Link to full story: http://www.gfxartist.com/general/general_news/28994