Skip to main content

AGDC 2004 sessions

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on

Thanks to Blitz for posting that the AGDC schedule is (partially) up.. (AGDC usually gives us updates on Sumea, but I think they may have forgotten this year [;)]).

Some interesting talks this year. I see Jacana has a talk about women in development, Gaffer is talking about physics and animation in Tribes: Vengeance. The Making of "Call of Duty" session is something I'd love to attend - that game was fantastic.

Some great talks from the art side of things, with Garth Midgley from Atari Melbourne House doing a talk about art in Transformers (you may have been the lucky 30 or so to have seen his tutorial on normal mapping at Free Play). Steve Stamatiadis is talking about the art in TY2, David King is doing a talk as well, and that 10 Essential Skills for Budding Games Artists session sounds interesting..

Submitted by James A Burke on Thu, 16/09/04 - 1:58 AM Permalink

I think that 'Scaling up to More Sophisticated AI Without Overburdening Developers - Lessons Learned' (Marc Atkin) would be interesting. Wheather I can actually go in another question ;) Prices are quite different compared to 'Free-Play' :D

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 16/09/04 - 2:57 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by James A. Burke

Prices are quite different compared to 'Free-Play' :D

yeah you might say that :P
i got into AGDC last year as a journo as i was working a journalist job at the time, now... godammit theres irony in there, dont buy games so you can go to the game makers confrence :P

Submitted by Mdobele on Thu, 16/09/04 - 10:43 AM Permalink

Has anyone heard anyhting about when they are going to announce the competition details for this year. I'm part of a student team wishing to go down and enter our game as part of the indi comp.

They were supposed to announce them last month.

Posted by souri on

Thanks to Blitz for posting that the AGDC schedule is (partially) up.. (AGDC usually gives us updates on Sumea, but I think they may have forgotten this year [;)]).

Some interesting talks this year. I see Jacana has a talk about women in development, Gaffer is talking about physics and animation in Tribes: Vengeance. The Making of "Call of Duty" session is something I'd love to attend - that game was fantastic.

Some great talks from the art side of things, with Garth Midgley from Atari Melbourne House doing a talk about art in Transformers (you may have been the lucky 30 or so to have seen his tutorial on normal mapping at Free Play). Steve Stamatiadis is talking about the art in TY2, David King is doing a talk as well, and that 10 Essential Skills for Budding Games Artists session sounds interesting..

Submitted by James A Burke on Thu, 16/09/04 - 1:58 AM Permalink

I think that 'Scaling up to More Sophisticated AI Without Overburdening Developers - Lessons Learned' (Marc Atkin) would be interesting. Wheather I can actually go in another question ;) Prices are quite different compared to 'Free-Play' :D

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 16/09/04 - 2:57 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by James A. Burke

Prices are quite different compared to 'Free-Play' :D

yeah you might say that :P
i got into AGDC last year as a journo as i was working a journalist job at the time, now... godammit theres irony in there, dont buy games so you can go to the game makers confrence :P

Submitted by Mdobele on Thu, 16/09/04 - 10:43 AM Permalink

Has anyone heard anyhting about when they are going to announce the competition details for this year. I'm part of a student team wishing to go down and enter our game as part of the indi comp.

They were supposed to announce them last month.