Skip to main content

Box Modelling

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

Can someone please tell me what Box Modelling is? I have heard of it being used so often but have no idea what it is.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 16/12/03 - 4:14 AM Permalink

I think its just using the box primitive to model or modelling in quads or something, I dunno.

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 16/12/03 - 7:15 AM Permalink

Box modelling is another (rather ugly) term for subdivisional modelling. Other names you'll hear are sub-d, nurms, quad-rule, etc etc.

Subdivision is using a more primitive "control mesh" which then has this geometry multiplied by 4 times per iteration or step, and the result averaged or smoothed across the surface. So for an example, a square would become 4 squares - sliced vertically, then horizontally. That's subdivision. Quad rules are where you're using this technique in a more efficient, smart, and "readable" way - it all comes down to the fact a triangle won't subdivide as nicely as a quad, so you use these rules to keep your mesh wholistically quads. Anyways, hope this explains it - to toy with it in max, make a box and put a meshsmooth modifier on it. go back down your stack to edit mesh again and unhide some hidden edges (your box should start as quads) - now notice the triangles that unhiding those edges made don't subdivide as nicely as the quads?

Bit of a tangent, but I hope this explains it a little

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 17/12/03 - 1:22 AM Permalink

hmm I always thought box modelling was where you created extrudo men from boxes..

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 17/12/03 - 5:38 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by J.I. Styles

and, for those more discerning individuals among us...

:looks around blankly while whistling: The final version looks kinda odd, but it is a good idea.

The best head modelling tute I have found belongs to Julian Jeremy Johnson-Mortimer (say that three times fast :) ). His web site died a few months back, but I managed to find the tute again. MASSIVE WARNING: Do not even attempt to go into his level of depth if you are just starting out.

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/julian_creating_character/julian_…

He also has an awesome texturing guide for the same head.

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/dr_julians_texturing/dr_julians_t…

Enjoy

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

Can someone please tell me what Box Modelling is? I have heard of it being used so often but have no idea what it is.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 16/12/03 - 4:14 AM Permalink

I think its just using the box primitive to model or modelling in quads or something, I dunno.

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 16/12/03 - 7:15 AM Permalink

Box modelling is another (rather ugly) term for subdivisional modelling. Other names you'll hear are sub-d, nurms, quad-rule, etc etc.

Subdivision is using a more primitive "control mesh" which then has this geometry multiplied by 4 times per iteration or step, and the result averaged or smoothed across the surface. So for an example, a square would become 4 squares - sliced vertically, then horizontally. That's subdivision. Quad rules are where you're using this technique in a more efficient, smart, and "readable" way - it all comes down to the fact a triangle won't subdivide as nicely as a quad, so you use these rules to keep your mesh wholistically quads. Anyways, hope this explains it - to toy with it in max, make a box and put a meshsmooth modifier on it. go back down your stack to edit mesh again and unhide some hidden edges (your box should start as quads) - now notice the triangles that unhiding those edges made don't subdivide as nicely as the quads?

Bit of a tangent, but I hope this explains it a little

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 17/12/03 - 1:22 AM Permalink

hmm I always thought box modelling was where you created extrudo men from boxes..

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 17/12/03 - 5:38 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by J.I. Styles

and, for those more discerning individuals among us...

:looks around blankly while whistling: The final version looks kinda odd, but it is a good idea.

The best head modelling tute I have found belongs to Julian Jeremy Johnson-Mortimer (say that three times fast :) ). His web site died a few months back, but I managed to find the tute again. MASSIVE WARNING: Do not even attempt to go into his level of depth if you are just starting out.

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/julian_creating_character/julian_…

He also has an awesome texturing guide for the same head.

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/dr_julians_texturing/dr_julians_t…

Enjoy