Skip to main content

Request a tut...

Submitted by rgreen on
Forum

Hey guys, I've got a question, I've been meaning to write up some of my knowledge (tutorial or briefs) I've learnt over the years but I'm not really sure where to start (there's enough general polygon and texturing tutorials on the web) so I was wondering what people wanted to know? I can't say I'm the guru on all things art but if there's a topic that people particularly want some help or info on let me know and I'll see what I can do. I have a better then average technical art skill so don't be shy there common make it as technical as possible.

Regards,

Rod.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Sat, 23/11/02 - 3:53 AM Permalink

hmmm lets see
I'm interested in high poly character modeling and especailly setting up character controls to operate everything from hands to eye lids etc.
Also an easy to follow tut on photoshop and how to make concept pics like tariq's or crystal's would be extremely usefull for me
Also do you know how to do "focus" in 3dsmax 4 (or 5 but i haven't really moved on to that yet) so that far away things are blurred but not objects close to camera... actually i think i have an idea. But still do tell.

Bloody hell its a giant harmonica!

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sat, 23/11/02 - 3:55 AM Permalink

If you know anything on normal mapping and a full explination on edge loops, that would be a good tut. Anything on rendering, lighting and shadow as well. Some people around here may also be interested in NURBS, I myself have never attempted to use them. :)

Lead paint: delicious but deadly!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 23/11/02 - 7:21 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Meatex_Salami

Also do you know how to do "focus" in 3dsmax 4 (or 5 but i haven't really moved on to that yet) so that far away things are blurred but not objects close to camera... actually i think i have an idea. But still do tell.

I think you can just doing it using the "depth of field" trick. It's been a while since I used Max so I can't recall off the top of my head. Sorry.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 23/11/02 - 7:40 AM Permalink

In some ways Id like to see some briefs or challenges. There's a site called 'Pixelation' for 2d sprite artists on the net but they have this cool thing where every Wednesday week they have a new pixel challenge. This challenge tests a different area of skill each week. For example, one week it might be to make a 64X64 pixel sprite animation of someone running, or a simple tile set or maybe even a magical effect. Sometimes the challenges are limited to 4 16 or unlimited colours per sprite.

In Sumea terms, this might be good thing. A low poly challenge where users create a low polygon quake3 character one week (untextured) and the next week, it could be to design a concept sketch for a Samurai game. Challenges can be as broad or as specific as possible and originality is encouraged. For example, no 'big shoulder pads or massive boots on a 3d character that is so often seen.'

What rgreen and souri could do is be the judges and set the challenges for us. The objective isn't to find a winner, but to broaden our skill bases. Perhaps the more complicated nature and time constraints it could be every two weeks.

Thoughts?

Submitted by souri on Sat, 23/11/02 - 8:49 AM Permalink

If you want to do 64x64 pixel art brief, I can use the results for a hack 'n slash RPG game. [;)].. if you've ever seen Final Fantasy III (or 6) on the SNES, you'll know what kinda art I mean.. 2 or 3 frames, small size.. pretty simple stuff.. it's just a suggestion, btw.. I think some weekly/fortnightly brief/challenge on anything that encourages productivity and offers a bit of fun in the process is definately a cool idea.
Tutorials I'd like to see... "setting up character controls to operate everything from hands to eye lids etc" which Meatex mentioned definately sounds interesting!!! [:)]

Submitted by rgreen on Sun, 24/11/02 - 2:02 AM Permalink

I'll do Meatex's request about setting up a character as this would be a good starting point and is quite technical. However I would like to point out that at the moment I'm primarlly a maya artist and as such I'll use that as my platform. I'll try to make sure the general principles come accross so all you'll need to do is translate that information across to your software's way of doing things.

That might be a good idea to find out what software people are using? The concept stuff I'll look at maybe the technical/principle side as it really comes down to your artistic ability. Maybe we could get one of them to do a step by step process?

Rod.

Submitted by rgreen on Sun, 24/11/02 - 4:50 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Fluffy CatFood

If you know anything on normal mapping and a full explination on edge loops, that would be a good tut.

The specifics of edge loops aren't really game related, I don't think any games engines support subdivision surfaces real-time yet, however after saying that I see that subdivisions surfaces can still be used to create the 'static' model that the engine renders (just with lower subdivisions then would be used to prerendered stuff). So this is really just a technique to model game assets. In the future, as the in-game engines poly pushing power increases, I'm sure this technique will become more common.

I see that normal mapping (lately seen in the doom3 render) might become an issue for 'mod'ding doom3 but the technique is mainly a programming (in-game engine) procedure (sourced from a quick render from a 3d package or 3rd party app), there is no real special artwork needed (apart from the standard modelling of the source mesh and it's lowres in-game version).

So what I'm trying to say is 'yes' these are valid techniques for game art creation but at the moment I would like to focus on something that's a little more fundamental - however not something that's been rehashed as polygon modelling and uv texturing.

Rod.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sun, 24/11/02 - 5:57 AM Permalink

I use max3.1 and I have Maya PLE, so I'll find your tuts valuable even though I've barely touched maya, I've been eager to learn it.

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 24/11/02 - 8:52 AM Permalink

Actually from what i've read the Doom3 rendering engine requires that artists create the bumpmaps - or normalmaps - by using another program, notably ID use Lightwave to generate the textures, and from what I've read its quite an involving process. Still it *is* put together in the engine. I suppose we'll know for sure once the game comes out in all its hype and glory.

Submitted by Caol on Mon, 13/01/03 - 4:03 AM Permalink

where can i get a good tutorial on 3d studio max 5.0???

Posted by rgreen on
Forum

Hey guys, I've got a question, I've been meaning to write up some of my knowledge (tutorial or briefs) I've learnt over the years but I'm not really sure where to start (there's enough general polygon and texturing tutorials on the web) so I was wondering what people wanted to know? I can't say I'm the guru on all things art but if there's a topic that people particularly want some help or info on let me know and I'll see what I can do. I have a better then average technical art skill so don't be shy there common make it as technical as possible.

Regards,

Rod.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Sat, 23/11/02 - 3:53 AM Permalink

hmmm lets see
I'm interested in high poly character modeling and especailly setting up character controls to operate everything from hands to eye lids etc.
Also an easy to follow tut on photoshop and how to make concept pics like tariq's or crystal's would be extremely usefull for me

Bloody hell its a giant harmonica!

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sat, 23/11/02 - 3:55 AM Permalink

If you know anything on normal mapping and a full explination on edge loops, that would be a good tut. Anything on rendering, lighting and shadow as well. Some people around here may also be interested in NURBS, I myself have never attempted to use them. :)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 23/11/02 - 7:21 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Meatex_Salami

I think you can just doing it using the "depth of field" trick. It's been a while since I used Max so I can't recall off the top of my head. Sorry.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sat, 23/11/02 - 7:40 AM Permalink

In some ways Id like to see some briefs or challenges. There's a site called 'Pixelation' for 2d sprite artists on the net but they have this cool thing where every Wednesday week they have a new pixel challenge. This challenge tests a different area of skill each week. For example, one week it might be to make a 64X64 pixel sprite animation of someone running, or a simple tile set or maybe even a magical effect. Sometimes the challenges are limited to 4 16 or unlimited colours per sprite.

In Sumea terms, this might be good thing. A low poly challenge where users create a low polygon quake3 character one week (untextured) and the next week, it could be to design a concept sketch for a Samurai game. Challenges can be as broad or as specific as possible and originality is encouraged. For example, no 'big shoulder pads or massive boots on a 3d character that is so often seen.'

What rgreen and souri could do is be the judges and set the challenges for us. The objective isn't to find a winner, but to broaden our skill bases. Perhaps the more complicated nature and time constraints it could be every two weeks.

Thoughts?

Submitted by souri on Sat, 23/11/02 - 8:49 AM Permalink

If you want to do 64x64 pixel art brief, I can use the results for a hack 'n slash RPG game. [;)].. if you've ever seen Final Fantasy III (or 6) on the SNES, you'll know what kinda art I mean.. 2 or 3 frames, small size.. pretty simple stuff.. it's just a suggestion, btw.. I think some weekly/fortnightly brief/challenge on anything that encourages productivity and offers a bit of fun in the process is definately a cool idea.
Tutorials I'd like to see... "setting up character controls to operate everything from hands to eye lids etc" which Meatex mentioned definately sounds interesting!!! [:)]

Submitted by rgreen on Sun, 24/11/02 - 2:02 AM Permalink

I'll do Meatex's request about setting up a character as this would be a good starting point and is quite technical. However I would like to point out that at the moment I'm primarlly a maya artist and as such I'll use that as my platform. I'll try to make sure the general principles come accross so all you'll need to do is translate that information across to your software's way of doing things.

That might be a good idea to find out what software people are using? The concept stuff I'll look at maybe the technical/principle side as it really comes down to your artistic ability. Maybe we could get one of them to do a step by step process?

Rod.

Submitted by rgreen on Sun, 24/11/02 - 4:50 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Fluffy CatFood

If you know anything on normal mapping and a full explination on edge loops, that would be a good tut.

The specifics of edge loops aren't really game related, I don't think any games engines support subdivision surfaces real-time yet, however after saying that I see that subdivisions surfaces can still be used to create the 'static' model that the engine renders (just with lower subdivisions then would be used to prerendered stuff). So this is really just a technique to model game assets. In the future, as the in-game engines poly pushing power increases, I'm sure this technique will become more common.

I see that normal mapping (lately seen in the doom3 render) might become an issue for 'mod'ding doom3 but the technique is mainly a programming (in-game engine) procedure (sourced from a quick render from a 3d package or 3rd party app), there is no real special artwork needed (apart from the standard modelling of the source mesh and it's lowres in-game version).

So what I'm trying to say is 'yes' these are valid techniques for game art creation but at the moment I would like to focus on something that's a little more fundamental - however not something that's been rehashed as polygon modelling and uv texturing.

Rod.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sun, 24/11/02 - 5:57 AM Permalink

I use max3.1 and I have Maya PLE, so I'll find your tuts valuable even though I've barely touched maya, I've been eager to learn it.

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 24/11/02 - 8:52 AM Permalink

Actually from what i've read the Doom3 rendering engine requires that artists create the bumpmaps - or normalmaps - by using another program, notably ID use Lightwave to generate the textures, and from what I've read its quite an involving process. Still it *is* put together in the engine. I suppose we'll know for sure once the game comes out in all its hype and glory.

Submitted by Caol on Mon, 13/01/03 - 4:03 AM Permalink

where can i get a good tutorial on 3d studio max 5.0???