Tantalus Media is building a new studio in Adelaide. We're already growing in South Australia as we pull together the best technical and creative thinkers in the industry! We are a studio built on the strength and heritage of Tantalus Media and the global foundation of Keywords Studios. A studio where experts are empowered to have impact daily. A studio where incredible teams ship world class AAA games for the biggest publishers around the world.
We are looking for amazing people to join our Tantalus Adelaide studio! With several AAA titles in the pipeline, we're looking for a Lead 3D Artist to join our team!
As a Lead 3D Artist you are responsible for organising and motivating a team of artists to deliver at the highest standards. Utilising your artistic, technical and managerial expertise, you will work closely with the team and other department leads to plan and direct work to meet deadlines and product vision.
You will be an accomplished production-focused artist with a proven track record in the game industry, and excellent communication and people skills. In this role you are required to anticipate and find solutions on both team and art production levels in order to deliver stunning visual experiences.
This position entails a great deal of responsibility and opportunity to drive artistic standards and development of individuals within your team. Come and help us make our AAA games interesting and beautiful.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Lead an artistic team in development of AAA quality environments and assets
- Help define and establish art standards and workflows while ensuring creative content is consistent
- Work directly with Production to ensure that schedules and plans meet business and project needs
- Participate in the scheduling of art related aspects of the project and maintain planning foresight
- Ensure that produced and integrated assets respect the artistic vision of the game and meet quality standards
- Engage in effective communication practices to ensure that team members are aligned with project objectives
- Guide, mentor and develop the art team
- Provide regular reviews and feedback in a clear and constructive manner
- Encourage creativity and participation from all team members
- Maintain a collaborative working relationship with other departments and external partners
- Actively participate in the constant improvement of work methods and pipelines in collaboration with Technical Artists.
- Explore new technologies and techniques to achieve best possible results
- Share knowledge and recommend best practices in your area of expertise
- Assist in guiding and reviewing outsourced art work
- Contribute towards a positive and supportive company culture
- Approx. 7+ years of industry experience creating high-quality 3D art assets for games
- 2+ years of experience in leading teams
- Strong artistic and technical skills
- Experience working on AAA games
- Proficient in next-gen asset creation
- Proficient with industry standard tools like Maya, 3DMax, ZBrush, Substance Painter and Photoshop, with a high capacity to learn new tools
- Demonstrated ability to create and deliver to deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in estimating/scheduling (ideally within an agile environment)
- A passion for games, an interest and awareness in the latest trends, tools, technology and approaches in creating content.
- An aptitude for lighting and VFX
- Current development experience with Unity, UE4 or UE5
- Proficiency in Substance Designer
- Traditional art / drawing / painting / sculpting skills
- Experience with scripting (eg. python, MEL)
- Architecture, photography, photogrammetry or cinematography experience
- Ability to quickly ramp up on unfamiliar software or skillsets
- Competitive Market Rate Remuneration
- Best of both worlds - Perks of a global business with the intimacy of a small business
- Live the Adelaide lifestyle while working on world-class projects
- Work from home initially and then have the flexibly of working from home and our Adelaide CBD office once it is established in 2022
- Collaborate with other studios in the Keywords Australia group to learn and grow your knowledge
- And the best part – you get to be part of the next generation of programmers and work with the best publishers, titles and developers in the industry
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive, supports flexibility, and welcomes diversity.
If you meet some, but not all of the requirements for this role, we’re keen to hear from you!
If you would like to become part of an innovative company which promotes an exciting, supportive and inclusive culture, send your resume and your covering letter via the ‘Apply’ button.