Skip to main content

Tutorial CD/DVD Compilation Plan

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I have to say, the tutorials on the Special Edition of Unreal Tournament 2004 are *absoutely* brilliant. I'm quite impressed with the video tutorials. The people doing them definately know what they're talking about, and you learn so much more and easily just by watching them clicking around the interface and explaining as they go. I've never used Maya before, but there were a fair introductory tutorials on the dvd which explained a lot of things and has me very interested in Maya!

The video tutorials done by the people at [url="http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/3dbuzz_FAQ.php"]3D Buzz[/url], and they have plenty of these 'Video Training Modules' for download free on their website (all you have to do is register). You can register as a member and get them sent to you on a cd but apparantely that takes a while since "3DBuzz has one of the biggest memberbases of any site on the web. With over 30,000 members now, and more people joining everyday (and with only one person to do all the burning, labeling, and mailing)."

Where am I going with this? Well, I'm thinking perhaps we should get our collective acts together and download all these tutorials from 3DBuzz and any other useful free tutorials around. We'll send what we have to a nominated person to compile the lot on dvd or cd and then burn the lot for those who contributed in downloading.

Of course, if anyone else is interested in a copy, I'm sure it can be sent for a nominal charge for postage and blank dvd/cd. It's my understanding that these tutorials are freely downloadable and can be distributed without profit (if you find anything different, let me know). I really think something like this would benefit *everyone* here, so what do you think?!

** ok, I just had a look at the download page, and there seems to be so much stuff there. It might be possible to get them if there are a lot of people here on cable/fast connections, but I'm probably being a bit optimistic (it would require the generosity of high speed users here [:D]. I'm sure there are gigs and gigs worth of tutorials). There's tonnes of great stuff there, from Maya, XSI, 3DSMax through to Concept Art, HumanIk, and Photoshop. Probably worth looking into purchasing them all if there is an option.

Great! We have 7 contributors (including myself). If there are more people willing to downloada an issue or 2, let me know! You'll get back a multitude more in return for your efforts, trust me

ZBrush - Issue 1 (Inglis has Basic Overview from Issue1)
Maya - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2(Inglis has)
3dsmax - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2(Inglis has), Issue 3(Bullet21 has), Issue 4(Bullet21 has - missing chapter 4 eyes, maybe Stu can send), Issue 5 (Stu has)

XSI - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
PHP & MySQL - Issue 1 (Inglis has), Issue 2
Photoshop 7.0 - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
Quake III Game Design - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
Unreal Tournament Game Design - Issue 1
MOTIONBUILDER - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2, Issue 3, Issue 4, Issue 5
Houdini - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2, Issue 3
Combustion - Issue 1
UT2003 Game Design - Issue 1, Issue 2, Issue 3, Issue 4, Issue 5, Issue 6, Issue 7
Creating Concept Art - Issue 1, Issue 2
HumanIK - (it gets a bit funny with issue numbers here)

Lightwave - Issue1
Gamespace - Issue1(Bullet21 has)
Unreal Tech - (Inglis has Introduction to UnrealEd from Issue1)

I have Maya Fundamentals..
01 - Maya PLE - Intro
02 - Maya Modeling Basic
03 - Maya Animation

X5 is sending in:
HumanIK Issue 1
Concept Art Design Issue 1
Concept Art Design Issue 2
PHP & MySQL Integration Issue 2

So anyway, I'll update this list on who has what, what shouldn't we bother with (e.g Quake III Game Design) and for the people who volunteered to nominate certain issues to download. Some things we might have to skip like the Unreal Tournament 2003 stuff since I have 2004 relevant vtms.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 30/07/04 - 2:01 AM Permalink

you are putting them on dvds, yes? and if so can we watch it on a dvd player or not.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:09 AM Permalink

fiiiiiiinally got em sent, should receive them in a day or two Souri :)

Submitted by souri on Fri, 30/07/04 - 5:22 PM Permalink

Everything I get is being put on the DVD disc as files. You can't view it with a DVD player on your TV.

We've actually got enough stuff to fill 4.5gigs on a DVD disc now - might have to give the Quake 3 level design tutorials a miss to fit what Moonunit is sending, but overall there's a TONNE of stuff there. We're probably talking about DAYS worth of tutorial videos. If you're into Max or Maya, you're going to love it [:)].

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 30/07/04 - 5:38 PM Permalink

you got them...good stuff.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 31/07/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

How much will these cost?
I wouldnt mind getting one

Submitted by souri on Mon, 02/08/04 - 7:42 PM Permalink

It's not being sold. It's being compiled and resent out to those who have been contributing to the collection. However, being the nice guy that I am, I'm willing to send it free to a few Sumea regulars - restricting myself to about 5 people. I can put you down as #3 in that list if you like. List includes Kane and Palantir, so I don't forget.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 05/08/04 - 2:43 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

It's not being sold. It's being compiled and resent out to those who have been contributing to the collection.

even though i sent you about 10 cds, you can take my name off that list souri.

for the rest of you- if you want your name on that list in my place. PM with 25 words explaining why I should pick you. lol.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 05/08/04 - 6:15 PM Permalink

Yep, Inglis has been by far the largest contributor, so many many thanks for helping us out there!

I will check the mailbox today, Moonunit. I sent Stu an email a short while ago to see what was happening, but I haven't heard from him since, so I may as well get the show going. This is the list of contributors and people wanting a copy. Let me know if I missed anyone. If you're on the list, please private message me with your postal address, and I'll get them burning and sent in a week or so!

Bullet21
Stu
X5
MoonUnit
Kane
Makk
Palantir

Submitted by souri on Mon, 09/08/04 - 8:52 PM Permalink

Stu has emailed me to let me know what's happening. He's been sick, but it seems he's sent the last two times to the wrong address! Anyway, as soon as I get his package, I'll be burning and sending the compilation out..

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 11/08/04 - 7:22 AM Permalink

Sorry for the late reply.
That would be very, very kind of you to do so Souri :D VEry much appriecated. And thanks to Inglis too of course, you guys kick ass.
I'll PM you my addy, ok

Submitted by souri on Fri, 13/08/04 - 7:05 PM Permalink

Ok, we're ready to roll!

The amount of tutorials received is 2gigs over what I can fit on a single DVD.. so you need to list me your preferences (with the highest on the top of the list). I'll cram what I can with what you want most. We have tutorials for..

3DSMax
BenMathis tutorials / Hellboy
Gamespace
Maya
Photoshop 7
PHP
Quake 3 Level Editing
XSI Softimage
ZBrush
Creating Concept Art
Drawing
HumanIK

So everyone on the dvd receiving list a few posts back, please PM me your postal address and list of preference, and I'll send out the dvd's..

Submitted by X5 on Sat, 14/08/04 - 5:46 AM Permalink

yer i got most of those and of the ones i dont have i dont need them so u can take me off the list aswell

Submitted by souri on Thu, 19/08/04 - 3:20 AM Permalink

The DVD isn't for sale, but if you're interested in a free copy, and you're a regular, I can put you on the list. I'll be accepting 3 more regulars, so if you want a *free* dvd with these tutorials, post in this thread saying "Me, please", and PM (private message) me through the forum with your postal address and your order of preference...

Strictly limited to 3 more people.

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 20/08/04 - 3:41 AM Permalink

I would be really gratefull if you sent one this way Souri, this will help me alot, Please?

Submitted by souri on Mon, 23/08/04 - 8:49 AM Permalink

Yep, you're on the list.. I've already burnt a dvd for 5 of you on the list, which I'll be sending out tomorrow..

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 24/08/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

Yeah a really nice person, thankaz again.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 26/08/04 - 2:37 AM Permalink

I got mine today, well i think it is. The thing is borh my cd drives are broken so i can't see until they are fixed. But it was a Green Sony Cd cover with a DVD with no wrtiting on it. I'm pretty sure it's it.

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 26/08/04 - 3:07 AM Permalink

Got mine today too, thankaz again for that Souri.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 26/08/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

I got mine today also. Wow, it looks awesome! Maybe now I might have a chance of completing the modeller challenge [:P]
So I may not be online for a while, being busy with all these great looking tutes. I reckon if I can get through even half of these I?ll improve 10 fold!

Thanks again Souri, you?re a legend! [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 26/08/04 - 8:32 AM Permalink

hey souri, got mine aswell, been looking at them all evening, thanks so much to you and all contributors :D

Submitted by Kane on Thu, 26/08/04 - 10:40 PM Permalink

chances are high then that mine has arrived as well...I havent been 'home' yet this weeks so Ill get it on Friday

and my DVD drive kicked the bucket as well...[V]

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 27/08/04 - 9:59 AM Permalink

Got mine yesterday. Thanks agian Souri :)
Had a quick look at them, the vid of that fish in Zbrush2 is amazing :D

Submitted by souri on Sun, 29/08/04 - 2:01 AM Permalink

I sent out 7 dvds, so it's good that 6 of you have it already. I still have to send Stu one, but he hasn't sent me his preference list yet! If you're reading, Stu, send me ya list!

Submitted by Stu on Sun, 29/08/04 - 6:54 PM Permalink

Hey, I've been away for a while (stoopid uni assignments) Glad to here you finally got mine Souri Here's my pref.

HumanIK
Creating Concept Art
Drawing
Gamespace
Quake 3 Level Editing
Maya
PHP
XSI Softimage
ZBrush
Photoshop 7
3DSMax

I know you wont get them all on but as many as you can in that order would be great. Thanks again dude. Do you have my address or would you like me to e-mail it to you?

Stu

Submitted by souri on Mon, 30/08/04 - 5:53 AM Permalink

Thanks, yeh I have your address already. My car is getting repaired, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to mail it (depends on when I can get a lift), but hopefully soon!

Submitted by Stu on Mon, 30/08/04 - 6:12 PM Permalink

that's ok there's no great rush. I'm pretty busy at the moment getting uni stuff done so I dont have much time for maxing anyway.

Stu

Submitted by souri on Tue, 31/08/04 - 2:15 AM Permalink

I've noticed that 3D Buzz are taking down the star system, so I *think* the VTM's will be downloadable again for everyone. Definately worth trying to get the Maya VTM #2, Concept Art VTM #2, and other tutorials we didn't have in the compilation (although we did manage to get most of the good stuff!)

Submitted by X5 on Tue, 31/08/04 - 5:32 AM Permalink

didnt i send the Concept Art VTM #2?

Posted by souri on
Forum

I have to say, the tutorials on the Special Edition of Unreal Tournament 2004 are *absoutely* brilliant. I'm quite impressed with the video tutorials. The people doing them definately know what they're talking about, and you learn so much more and easily just by watching them clicking around the interface and explaining as they go. I've never used Maya before, but there were a fair introductory tutorials on the dvd which explained a lot of things and has me very interested in Maya!

The video tutorials done by the people at [url="http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/3dbuzz_FAQ.php"]3D Buzz[/url], and they have plenty of these 'Video Training Modules' for download free on their website (all you have to do is register). You can register as a member and get them sent to you on a cd but apparantely that takes a while since "3DBuzz has one of the biggest memberbases of any site on the web. With over 30,000 members now, and more people joining everyday (and with only one person to do all the burning, labeling, and mailing)."

Where am I going with this? Well, I'm thinking perhaps we should get our collective acts together and download all these tutorials from 3DBuzz and any other useful free tutorials around. We'll send what we have to a nominated person to compile the lot on dvd or cd and then burn the lot for those who contributed in downloading.

Of course, if anyone else is interested in a copy, I'm sure it can be sent for a nominal charge for postage and blank dvd/cd. It's my understanding that these tutorials are freely downloadable and can be distributed without profit (if you find anything different, let me know). I really think something like this would benefit *everyone* here, so what do you think?!

** ok, I just had a look at the download page, and there seems to be so much stuff there. It might be possible to get them if there are a lot of people here on cable/fast connections, but I'm probably being a bit optimistic (it would require the generosity of high speed users here [:D]. I'm sure there are gigs and gigs worth of tutorials). There's tonnes of great stuff there, from Maya, XSI, 3DSMax through to Concept Art, HumanIk, and Photoshop. Probably worth looking into purchasing them all if there is an option.

Great! We have 7 contributors (including myself). If there are more people willing to downloada an issue or 2, let me know! You'll get back a multitude more in return for your efforts, trust me

ZBrush - Issue 1 (Inglis has Basic Overview from Issue1)
Maya - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2(Inglis has)
3dsmax - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2(Inglis has), Issue 3(Bullet21 has), Issue 4(Bullet21 has - missing chapter 4 eyes, maybe Stu can send), Issue 5 (Stu has)

XSI - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
PHP & MySQL - Issue 1 (Inglis has), Issue 2
Photoshop 7.0 - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
Quake III Game Design - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
Unreal Tournament Game Design - Issue 1
MOTIONBUILDER - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2, Issue 3, Issue 4, Issue 5
Houdini - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2, Issue 3
Combustion - Issue 1
UT2003 Game Design - Issue 1, Issue 2, Issue 3, Issue 4, Issue 5, Issue 6, Issue 7
Creating Concept Art - Issue 1, Issue 2
HumanIK - (it gets a bit funny with issue numbers here)

Lightwave - Issue1
Gamespace - Issue1(Bullet21 has)
Unreal Tech - (Inglis has Introduction to UnrealEd from Issue1)

I have Maya Fundamentals..
01 - Maya PLE - Intro
02 - Maya Modeling Basic
03 - Maya Animation

X5 is sending in:
HumanIK Issue 1
Concept Art Design Issue 1
Concept Art Design Issue 2
PHP & MySQL Integration Issue 2

So anyway, I'll update this list on who has what, what shouldn't we bother with (e.g Quake III Game Design) and for the people who volunteered to nominate certain issues to download. Some things we might have to skip like the Unreal Tournament 2003 stuff since I have 2004 relevant vtms.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 30/07/04 - 2:01 AM Permalink

you are putting them on dvds, yes? and if so can we watch it on a dvd player or not.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/07/04 - 8:09 AM Permalink

fiiiiiiinally got em sent, should receive them in a day or two Souri :)

Submitted by souri on Fri, 30/07/04 - 5:22 PM Permalink

Everything I get is being put on the DVD disc as files. You can't view it with a DVD player on your TV.

We've actually got enough stuff to fill 4.5gigs on a DVD disc now - might have to give the Quake 3 level design tutorials a miss to fit what Moonunit is sending, but overall there's a TONNE of stuff there. We're probably talking about DAYS worth of tutorial videos. If you're into Max or Maya, you're going to love it [:)].

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 30/07/04 - 5:38 PM Permalink

you got them...good stuff.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 31/07/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

How much will these cost?
I wouldnt mind getting one

Submitted by souri on Mon, 02/08/04 - 7:42 PM Permalink

It's not being sold. It's being compiled and resent out to those who have been contributing to the collection. However, being the nice guy that I am, I'm willing to send it free to a few Sumea regulars - restricting myself to about 5 people. I can put you down as #3 in that list if you like. List includes Kane and Palantir, so I don't forget.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 05/08/04 - 2:43 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

It's not being sold. It's being compiled and resent out to those who have been contributing to the collection.

even though i sent you about 10 cds, you can take my name off that list souri.

for the rest of you- if you want your name on that list in my place. PM with 25 words explaining why I should pick you. lol.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 05/08/04 - 6:15 PM Permalink

Yep, Inglis has been by far the largest contributor, so many many thanks for helping us out there!

I will check the mailbox today, Moonunit. I sent Stu an email a short while ago to see what was happening, but I haven't heard from him since, so I may as well get the show going. This is the list of contributors and people wanting a copy. Let me know if I missed anyone. If you're on the list, please private message me with your postal address, and I'll get them burning and sent in a week or so!

Bullet21
Stu
X5
MoonUnit
Kane
Makk
Palantir

Submitted by souri on Mon, 09/08/04 - 8:52 PM Permalink

Stu has emailed me to let me know what's happening. He's been sick, but it seems he's sent the last two times to the wrong address! Anyway, as soon as I get his package, I'll be burning and sending the compilation out..

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 11/08/04 - 7:22 AM Permalink

Sorry for the late reply.
That would be very, very kind of you to do so Souri :D VEry much appriecated. And thanks to Inglis too of course, you guys kick ass.
I'll PM you my addy, ok

Submitted by souri on Fri, 13/08/04 - 7:05 PM Permalink

Ok, we're ready to roll!

The amount of tutorials received is 2gigs over what I can fit on a single DVD.. so you need to list me your preferences (with the highest on the top of the list). I'll cram what I can with what you want most. We have tutorials for..

3DSMax
Gamespace
Maya
Photoshop 7
PHP
Quake 3 Level Editing
XSI Softimage
ZBrush
Creating Concept Art
Drawing
HumanIK

So everyone on the dvd receiving list a few posts back, please PM me your postal address and list of preference, and I'll send out the dvd's..

Submitted by X5 on Sat, 14/08/04 - 5:46 AM Permalink

yer i got most of those and of the ones i dont have i dont need them so u can take me off the list aswell

Submitted by souri on Thu, 19/08/04 - 3:20 AM Permalink

The DVD isn't for sale, but if you're interested in a free copy, and you're a regular, I can put you on the list. I'll be accepting 3 more regulars, so if you want a *free* dvd with these tutorials, post in this thread saying "Me, please", and PM (private message) me through the forum with your postal address and your order of preference...

Strictly limited to 3 more people.

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 20/08/04 - 3:41 AM Permalink

I would be really gratefull if you sent one this way Souri, this will help me alot, Please?

Submitted by souri on Mon, 23/08/04 - 8:49 AM Permalink

Yep, you're on the list.. I've already burnt a dvd for 5 of you on the list, which I'll be sending out tomorrow..

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 24/08/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

Yeah a really nice person, thankaz again.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 26/08/04 - 2:37 AM Permalink

I got mine today, well i think it is. The thing is borh my cd drives are broken so i can't see until they are fixed. But it was a Green Sony Cd cover with a DVD with no wrtiting on it. I'm pretty sure it's it.

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 26/08/04 - 3:07 AM Permalink

Got mine today too, thankaz again for that Souri.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 26/08/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

I got mine today also. Wow, it looks awesome! Maybe now I might have a chance of completing the modeller challenge [:P]
So I may not be online for a while, being busy with all these great looking tutes. I reckon if I can get through even half of these I?ll improve 10 fold!

Thanks again Souri, you?re a legend! [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 26/08/04 - 8:32 AM Permalink

hey souri, got mine aswell, been looking at them all evening, thanks so much to you and all contributors :D

Submitted by Kane on Thu, 26/08/04 - 10:40 PM Permalink

chances are high then that mine has arrived as well...I havent been 'home' yet this weeks so Ill get it on Friday

and my DVD drive kicked the bucket as well...[V]

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 27/08/04 - 9:59 AM Permalink

Got mine yesterday. Thanks agian Souri :)
Had a quick look at them, the vid of that fish in Zbrush2 is amazing :D

Submitted by souri on Sun, 29/08/04 - 2:01 AM Permalink

I sent out 7 dvds, so it's good that 6 of you have it already. I still have to send Stu one, but he hasn't sent me his preference list yet! If you're reading, Stu, send me ya list!

Submitted by Stu on Sun, 29/08/04 - 6:54 PM Permalink

Hey, I've been away for a while (stoopid uni assignments) Glad to here you finally got mine Souri Here's my pref.

HumanIK
Creating Concept Art
Drawing
Gamespace
Quake 3 Level Editing
Maya
PHP
XSI Softimage
ZBrush
Photoshop 7
3DSMax

I know you wont get them all on but as many as you can in that order would be great. Thanks again dude. Do you have my address or would you like me to e-mail it to you?

Stu

Submitted by souri on Mon, 30/08/04 - 5:53 AM Permalink

Thanks, yeh I have your address already. My car is getting repaired, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to mail it (depends on when I can get a lift), but hopefully soon!

Submitted by Stu on Mon, 30/08/04 - 6:12 PM Permalink

that's ok there's no great rush. I'm pretty busy at the moment getting uni stuff done so I dont have much time for maxing anyway.

Stu

Submitted by souri on Tue, 31/08/04 - 2:15 AM Permalink

I've noticed that 3D Buzz are taking down the star system, so I *think* the VTM's will be downloadable again for everyone. Definately worth trying to get the Maya VTM #2, Concept Art VTM #2, and other tutorials we didn't have in the compilation (although we did manage to get most of the good stuff!)

Submitted by X5 on Tue, 31/08/04 - 5:32 AM Permalink

didnt i send the Concept Art VTM #2?