Authored onTuesday, 17 August, 2021 - 3:20 PM
Code and Visual is looking for an experienced and motivated 2D artist to work with us across a range of projects, both internal and external. The role is a remote position and will involve the development of 2D vector art for a range of interactive, web, game, and eLearning projects. You’ll be working with a team of digital experts to build cutting edge interactive solutions for some well-known clients.
About Code and Visual
Based in Sydney, Code and Visual was established in 2008 to provide creative digital services for government, community groups and businesses, large and small. We work with local and global clients on projects that combine fresh ideas with bullet-proof development.
Our work generally involves responsive websites, VR, mobile apps, games and interactive solutions that communicate, educate and engage with audiences. Above all we look to provide our clients with excellent service and deliver projects that provide true value. We’re a small team of dedicated experts where each person’s voice is heard and their input is strongly desired.
About the role
The successful applicant will be an efficient 2D artist that has a great portfolio of professional work and can develop simple yet “on-trend” art assets for use in various digital projects. Due to the nature of our work, a simple vector-based art style will be required in most situations, where simple animation can be applied using a boned/puppeted style.
Projects you will work on might range from an interactive web game, to a web app, to an eLearning module. We also work on internal projects such as mobile games and other narrative based products. In all cases you’ll be expected to match the creative brief and be able to bend your style to suit the tone and general aesthetic determined by the creative lead and client.
You’ll work closely with other team members and be expected to take ownership of the art production, finding ways to deliver effectively and efficiently.
This role will not be suitable for someone that is focused on traditional fine art skills, or non-vector-based art. The use of vectors is, in most cases a requirement, however some projects may allow for exploration of different options.
Initially the role is for 6 months with potential to extend, flexible working arrangements may also be considered.
You have a number of years’ experience working as a professional artist, with a good track record of delivering on-brief and on- schedule. You’ll have solid timeline animation skills in software such as Adobe Animate, and can prepare art assets for use by our technical team. You’ll be eager to receive input and to make adjustments based on the direction of the creative lead for the best outcomes of the project. You’ll have the required tools to perform your job such as a computer with a digital tablet.
Most importantly though, you will have a can-do attitude and an excitement for all things digital. You’ll appreciate that we need to work as a team and will be able to follow our standard workflows and systems. You’ll also be a good responsive communicator that can take direction and push back with considered reasoning when necessary.
- Proven work experience as a professional 2D artist/animator
- Experience producing vector art for use in digital animation
- Examples of previous professional work in various styles that show your flexibility as an artist.
- Good digital skills, both in art production, but also in standard workplace software such as the Office Suite and the Adobe suite.
- Ability to export and package up art assets for use as requested by our technical team
- A great portfolio
Good to have
- Experience working with a digital, creative, or advertising agency
- Experience with game engines such as Phaser and/or Construct
- Experience and interest in other game development tools such as Unity3D, Unreal and Adobe Air
- 3D modelling and animation skills
- A general awareness or familiarity with web technologies and creative tools
- Solid understanding of design and internet culture, games & digital
- Interest in or knowledge of games, eLearning and gamification
- You always find ways to make things better, faster, and more efficient
- You’ll be obsessed with finding ways to reuse and capitalise on existing art assets without sacrificing quality.
- You listen and respect others and believe that the best work come from collaboration
- You get excited by new creative challenges
- You can prioritise where to spend your time so that the project goals are delivered efficiently and effectively
- You care about deadlines and manage your time accordingly, communicating where needed to resolve any bottle necks or blocking issues before they impact your ability to deliver.
- Authorised to work in Australia
- Art style development
- Character development
- Development of production-ready art assets
- Animation of characters and other art assets using timeline tweening for use in digital projects
- Creation of background art, icons and other incidental illustration work
- Other creative tasks for projects both internal and external
Working with us
At Code and Visual we’ve embraced the new normal and enjoy working with a distributed work force. Our team are based across Sydney and Melbourne and communicate through Zoom, Slack and other web tools. When it comes to project management, we work with cloud-based project tools such as Basecamp, Smartsheets, and Trello, with strict importance given to project schedules and delivering on time.
When it’s possible to work with clients face to face, either in workshops or on pitches, we have a wonderful space in Barangaroo for group work. We’re a team of motivated problems solvers that appreciate each other’s skills and experience and look for likeminded individuals to help us grow a positive, collaborative, and productive work culture.
$55-$65k per annum + Super
6 months with possible extension