Authored byDigital Lode
Authored onMonday, 20 December, 2021 - 10:25 AM
Art Director - VR Games - Senior 3D Artist
Digital Lode is an award-winning indie VR game developer based in Footscray, Melbourne. We’re a growing team of 20, working in a super fun, innovative start-up style environment. Our first released title, “Espire 1: VR Operative” is an epic VR stealth action game that has launched us into our next project and set us on the path of making consumer VR games. We need an Art Director willing to jump on and get us to the finish line on one project, then hang around to work on more cool stuff with us.
You have a passion for games and immersive media. You’re a seasoned 3D artist who has worked in games for at least 5 years, and has worked on at least 3 titles. You have the ability to both give and take direction, and understand the balance between practicality and creativity. You can manage a large scope of work because you know how to prioritise your work and are confident and willing to share your skills and expertise.
We’re a super ambitious team committed to making super fun VR games. We’re always sharing, showing and playing what we create. We’re out of the box thinkers - all willing to learn, grow and improve. We love immersive media and have more than a few VR evangelists in our midst.
- Define and direct game visuals in collaboration with Art Lead and other team members and stakeholders (e.g. putting together mood boards, references, and descriptions)
- Convey and champion the art direction internally and to relevant external stakeholders
- Compile or produce reference material that guides artists in their work
- Keep the team updated with the status of the art direction, process, goals and results
- Provide feedback to artists, with a focus on artistic execution
- Work effectively in a collaborative, cross-functional agile environment and act as Product Owner for the visuals alongside the Art Lead
- Create high-quality art in the area that best suits your abilities (character art, environment art, animation, etc.)
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong working knowledge of Maya and other tools (Substance Painter/Designer & Photoshop)
- Experience with Unreal and VR tech pipelines
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- 5+ years of experience in games
- Ability to work onsite and when required off-site (due to Covid 19)
- Top notch organisation and prioritisation skills
- A keen eye for detail
Bonus points to applicants with:
- Environment art skills
- UE4 Experience
- VR Experience highly valued
- Shipped 3+ titles
- Experience working with Agile and Scrum development frameworks
If this sounds like you, please send us your resume, portfolio and a personal note telling us why you’d like to work with us. If you’re interested and would like to learn more, send an expression of interest to us at jobs[at]espirevr.com
Applications close Sunday, 9th January 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.