Authored by5 Lives Studios
Authored onMonday, 28 March, 2022 - 4:51 PM
5 Lives Studios was founded by five industry veterans who banded together in the wake of the Australian games industry's near-collapse. Having worked together in various studios for almost a decade, they decided to set out on their own independent venture to create the games they've always want to make. Between them, they've worked on a wide variety of genres and properties, including Syndicate, Grand Theft Auto, Darksiders, Star Wars, and more.
About the job
5 Lives Studios is looking for an in-house 3D Character Artist for an exciting new IP. Join the team nominated for Best Art in the Australian Game Developer Awards in 2020.
Your task is to help bring to life concept art into the game world by creating stylised 3D character assets.
The role will be full-time, and the applicant must be available to work on-site in West End, Brisbane.
We are actively looking to diversify our team and are particularly interested in applicants from underrepresented groups, women and members of the LGBTQIA+ community.
Follow the artistic direction from briefs, concept art and/or photo reference to create a variety of character assets (and associated props)
Creation of detailed high resolution sculpts:
From concept sculpts, through to final detailed sculpts used to form the basis of in-game assets
Creation of production ready assets:
In-game mesh creation (retopologisation, unwrapping)
Baked, and hand made textures (and associated materials)
Integration of character assets into game:
Adherence to tech constraints, as well as artistic, and gameplay needs
Finalisation of assets based on expected production pipelines
Work within tech budgets while hitting key development timelines
Troubleshoots technical, and artistic issues
Take direction from Senior Artists, and engage with Producer to ensure project goals are met
- Demonstrated a good understanding of anatomy
- Demonstrated a good understanding of form, shape, scale and silhouette
- Proficiency in the creation of high resolution character sculpts, preferably within ZBrush (knowledge of similar software considered)
- Proficiency in the creation of in-game character assets, preferably within Maya (knowledge of similar software considered)
- Understanding of texturing/baking software; Substance Painter and Photoshop (preferred)
- Understanding of physically based shaders
- Understanding of pipeline requirements needed to take an asset from concept sculpt through to final asset(s) for use in real time
- Eager to improve and are always looking to learn new techniques, and software
- Ability to receive, give, and apply constructive feedback
- Proactive and autonomous with work tasks
- Collaborative with team mates, including those of other disciplines
- Professional experience is a bonus but a strong portfolio goes a long way
- Proficient in Substance Designer
- Experience with Unity 3D Game Engine
- Understanding of export processes between asset authoring software and game editor (Unity preferred)
- Experience working in the game industry highly regarded
- Maya (Preferred), Blender or 3D Studio Max
- Zbrush (Preferred), Mudbox, 3d Coat or similar sculpting software
- Substance Painter (Bonus)
- Substance Designer
- Jira and Confluence (Training available)
- Plastic Source Control (Training available)
Position: Full Time On-Site
Language: English, Verbal and Written.
Location: West End, Brisbane, Australia
Salary: Depends on Experience